Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Seeing the Need

Well, Becca typed out the first two posts so I figure I better write something as well. Things have been going pretty good so far. I'm starting to get a little better feel for what I am supposed to be doing.
One activity that Pastor Kevin and I will be doing is going door-to-door in the downtown neighborhoods. We are basically introducing ourselves and letting them know about the new church that is starting. We also ask them what the needs are of the neighborhood and how a new church could help out. It was a very interesting experience as we got a wide variety of reactions. The very first house we went to resulted in a quick dismissal. As soon as we mentioned the word church he told us to get out because he didn't want anything to do with religion. On the other hand, we met some people that seemed to want to talk to us forever. For the most part, it seems that people are somewhat religious, but do not attend church. Before Becca and I came, Pastor Kevin did over 40 surveys and only 6 or 7 of them actually attended church. Pastor Kevin also told me that the percentage of people who go to church between the ages of 18-30 is less than 10% in Fond du Lac. So we are definitely seeing the need here and The Garden has a very strong vision to reach the unchurched population.

Pictures to come soon! (hopefully)

Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment